The Quackish Medico

About 8 years ago, I chanced upon a person in Bangalore. He was a relative of one of my friends. We were having coffee somewhere on MG Road and this guys turned up. He was an "education consultant." It means he "procures" seats for prospective students from Kerala in medical and engineering colleges in Karnataka. These students are usually from the planters' belt or children of wealthy NRI parents. They may not do well in qualifying exams, but money sure gets them a seat for an engineering or medical college.

This person told us he could get us an MBBS for 8 lakhs! He also said it was okay if you never attended the college! He would take care of your "attendance" in the classes and even get you an "original" degree certificate for a price.

I chose to ignore this person as just another boastful guy who was blowing things out of proportion for petty gains.

The recent developments in the medical education sector served as an eye opener, and I now think that guy must have been telling the truth.

That is scary and it makes me even more scared to go to a doctor who is "qualified." Having done transcription for more than 10 years, I understand what medicine should be given to a patient for a particular illness and what test should be done if a patient has certain symptoms. However, I would never try it on others because I don't have the "qualification" to do that.

Alarmingly, here is a large population of "doctors" who have certification from reputed and "recognized" universities. I am sure these guys never attended classes or know the basics of medical science. I am sure the rules are so full of loopholes that anyone challenging them will only end up burning their pockets.

I understand that not everyone is like this. There are hardworking genuine physicians who burn midnight oil and toil to get their degrees and work excellently. I have hope in such people. My dilemma, however, is how will I recognize the jackal?

Comments